Online RRT to BSRT Program (Degree Completion)
The online respiratory therapy degree completion program allows practicing Registered Respiratory Therapists with the NBRC credential RRT, to earn a Bachelor of Science in respiratory therapy through 100 percent online course work.
- Flexibility – All courses offered through distance education giving you control of your schedule.
- Enroll any time during the year; no deadlines for application.
- Courses can be taken in any sequence.
Individuals entering the online degree completion program in respiratory therapy must have completed a CoARC accredited Associate degree program in Respiratory Therapy. Students must hold the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) credential of Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
Admission to the program is competitive and the selection of the applicants is based upon the following criteria:
- Applicants must apply and be accepted to the University of Southern Indiana. This includes the payment of an application fee as well as the submission of high school and college/university transcripts to USI Undergraduate Admissions, 8600 University Blvd, Evansville, IN 47712.
- Applicants must complete and submit the online Respiratory Therapy Program Application.
- Applicants must have a post-secondary grade point average of at least 2.5 or above based on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended.
- Hold NBRC Registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. (For students who earned their AS degree somewhere other than USI, a Block of up to 50 Credits will be applied toward the BSRT upon proof of RRT and Licensure where applicable, and successful completion of all ASRT course work).
- Currently hold a license to practice respiratory therapy, where applicable.
- Students may transfer in credits earned at an accredited community college or 4-year university.
- No limitation on number of credits that may transfer into USI.
- For students who earned their AS degree somewhere other than USI, a block of up to 50 credit hours can be awarded with confirmation of the RRT credential and licensure, where applicable.
- Total program requirements: 120 credits
- 39 credit hours of the 120 credit hours earned must consist of courses at the 300/400 level to be eligible for the Bachelor of Science degree.
- A minimum of 30 credit hours toward the completion of the baccalaureate degree must be earned from USI.
- Students within the degree completion program must meet the University’s core curriculum in addition to the respiratory therapy curriculum in order to fulfill graduation requirements.
The shared required non-respiratory therapy courses will consist of 12 credit hours selected from the following:
• BIOL 272 – Medical Microbiology (3 credits)
• PHYS 101 – Introduction to Physical Sciences (3 credits)
• IPH 401 – Interprofessional Perspectives on Global Health (3 credits)
• HP 356 – Ethics and Health Care in a Pluralistic Society (3 credits)
The shared respiratory therapy courses will consist of 19-20 credit hours from the following:
• REST 451 - Management and Leadership for Respiratory Therapy (3 credits)
• REST 452 - Introduction to Research in Respiratory Therapy (3 credits)
• REST 453 – Respiratory Therapy Disease Management Concepts (3 credits)
• REST 454 - Advanced Critical Care Management (3 credits)
• REST 455 – Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Geriatrics (3 credits)
• REST 456 - Professional Issues in Respiratory Therapy (3 credits)
• REST 460 – Independent Study of Respiratory Therapy (1-2 credits)