Freshman Residence Halls
USI Housing and Residence Life offers residence halls for freshmen with convenient amenities. Refer to the map to see where each hall is located.
Newman and Governors halls accommodate over 340 residents; O'Bannon and Ruston halls over 400. All four halls are freshman-only. Newman and Governors halls are in close proximity to the Recreation, Fitness, and Wellness Center and directly across the boulevard from Rice Library. O'Bannon and Ruston halls are near the Screaming Eagles Valley Complex and the Art Studio. Ruston and O'Bannon house the first-year Theme Living Communities. Halls are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and tend to be a popular option for students. Students assigned to the residence halls must choose either the Red, White, or Blue Eagle meal plan.
- Secure building access
- Interior hallways
- Four person/two bedroom suites and one person single bedrooms
- Couch and chair in two bedroom suites; chair in one bedroom suite
- Kitchenette with sink, under-the-counter refrigerator (provided), and storage cabinets
- Overhead lighting with ample outlets for individual lamps
- Individual temperature control by suite
- Vinyl wood flooring and carpet
Two Bedroom Suite
- Private bathroom in each bedroom
- Two desks and chairs
- Two standard twin size beds with mattresses
- Two closets - one for each resident. In Newman and Governors, there is additional shelving that is along one side of each closet.
- There are two windows in each bedroom in the two bedroom suites. Corner suites will have one bedroom with four windows and one bedroom with two windows.
One Bedroom Suite
- Private bathroom
- Desk and chair
- Standard twin size bed with mattress
- There is a floor to ceiling glass panel with a window in the middle in single rooms in Newman and Governors. There are blinds that cover the entire glass panel and window. There is one window in single rooms in Ruston and O'Bannon with blinds.
- Rooms are equipped with Ethernet connections and wireless Internet access (resident must provide Ethernet cord). There is no specific cord length as it depends on how residents choose to arrange the furniture in the rooms.
- Students are welcome to use their preferred streaming services and devices to watch favorite shows, movies, etc.
- Six computer labs in each hall
- Large first floor lounge
- Lounge space on second and third floors in Newman and Governors
- Lounge space on lower level, second and third floors in O'Bannon and Ruston
- Vending machines and a pay printer in lobby
- Laundry room on second floor
- Ice machine on second floor
- Mail and package services are available to residents in the HRL office
- Beds raised to their highest have a space of 30" high underneath for storage. Lofts and bed risers are prohibited.
- Beds can be bunked. Metal pins are in each bedroom to do so. Residents are responsible for bunking beds.
- Residents provide their own dishes, cooking utensils, microwave, etc.
- Residents may hang curtains at windows but should only use tension curtain rods. It is recommended that residents wait until they move in to measure windows for curtains since dimensions may vary among buildings. Blinds must not be removed from windows.
- Halogen lamps/light bulbs not permitted.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning their suite and must provide their own cleaning supplies and trash cans.
- Residents provide their own shower liner and curtain. Shower hooks are provided. Residents must provide toilet paper, towels, toiletries, etc.
- Closet doors slide open.
- Laundry rooms use both coins and Eagle Access Card. Laundry is $1.50 to wash per load and $1.25 to dry per load.
- For additional packing tips and list, visit Packing List.
*Note this floor plan is also for two person/two bedroom. Floor plan for a one bedroom apartment is the same except with one less bedroom and bathroom.