University of Southern Indiana

Travel Policy

The University of Southern Indiana travel policy also is available as a downloadable PDF.



Subsistence Allowance

Travel Expenses


Reimbursement Process


Reimbursable Expenses  




The Travel Authorization is initiated by the traveler and is used by the University to authorize trips. Approval should be obtained before the date of departure to ensure travel reimbursement and insurance coverage.

Required travel includes the traveler's supervisor and responsible financial manager's signatures.

The Travel Authorization is to include all information requested. If certain information is not applicable, it should be so noted.


The Travel Authorization for out-of-state travel needs to be submitted a minimum of three weeks in advance and be approved by the responsible vice-president.


The Travel Authorization for out-of-country travel needs to be submitted a minimum of three weeks in advance and be approved by the responsible vice-president and president.


A Travel Authorization is not required for local travel. Local travel is defined as no overnight and within:

  • Vanderburgh, Warrick, and Posey counties for the support staff.
  • And a 50-mile radius which includes Kentucky and Illinois for the faculty and administrative personnel.


A person traveling on University business may request prepayment of a registration fee associated with attendance at a conference. A Payment Request with appropriate support document should be submitted in conjunction with the Travel Authorization.

A registration fee will be processed after an approved Travel Authorization has been submitted and is on file (only exception is local travel). A copy of the registration agenda is required.

If a registration fee is paid directly by the traveler, proof of payment and a copy of the registration form will be needed to process reimbursement. A COPY OF THE AGENDA WILL STILL BE REQUIRED.

Field Trip

Faculty-sponsored field trips should be planned and organized with special care. Each dean is responsible for ensuring the University that the faculty member has completed details such as a Travel Authorization (for field trip insurance coverage), notification of student absences from other classes, etcetera

A copy of the approved Travel Authorization needs to be on file in the office of Risk Management and Safety prior to departing on any trip in order for the students to be covered by University insurance. Since the office of Travel Services receives all approved travel authorizations, Travel Services will email a copy of the approved travel authorization to the office of Risk Management and Safety on behalf of the travelers. 

Check with the office of Risk Management and Safety for a specific list of insurance coverage.


An employee whose position requires travel, such as an admission counselor, athletic coach or department head, no longer needs to process a travel authorization for such trips. An employee who travels as part of his or her job responsibilities needs only to notify the appropriate supervisor of the travel dates and business purpose of the trip.

Upon completion of the trip, the traveler should submit a travel claim for the business travel expenses and follow all reimbursement requirements. The Travel Reimbursement Request must include the business purpose of the trip and the appropriate supervisor’s signature on the financial manager line. If the claimant is the financial manager, then a supervisor’s signature is still required, as obtaining it approves the business purpose of the trip.

In the following situations, travel policy remains unchanged and will continue to require an approved travel authorization be processed:

  1. Professional development travel, such as conferences, workshops, seminars, training sessions, etc.  Most conferences require a fee to attend.  If there is no fee or one has been waived, the purpose remains as professional development and therefore would still require an approved travel authorization.
  2. Out-of-state travel.  Coaches and admission counselors are exempt from this requirement.  Other exemptions may be approved at the discretion of the responsible vice-president.
  3. International travel.
  4. Field trip travel or student travel, including local trips.  This information is necessary for the office of Risk Management and Safety, and to ensure field trip insurance coverage where applicable.
  5. Any business trip that does not fall within an employee’s job function or the above categories. 


Registration Fees

The University offers to prepay registration fees on behalf of a travel who has an approved travel authorization on file in Travel Services.

Airline Tickets

Travel Services will arrange and purchase all airline tickets for employees who have an approved travel authorization on file in Travel Services.

Travel Advances

Travel advances are not normally issued. If a requested advance is approved for support staff, then Travel Services will prepare a payment request for 80% of the estimated travel expense.


60-Day Policy

All claims for reimbursement of travel expenses for approved University business must be submitted within 60 days after the traveler returns from his/her business trip. Additionally, every effort should be made to submit travel reimbursement requests within the fiscal year to which they relate when practical. 

Travel claims for mileage logs are not required to be submitted after each trip. A traveler may submit a travel reimbursement request for mileage logs as needed; however, the traveler is encouraged to submit extensive mileage logs at least twice a year in order to expedite processing.


To receive reimbursement, a travel reimbursement request needs to be submitted. The information to complete a travel reimbursement request can be obtained from the travel packet. Petty cash should not be used.

Field Trips

A traveler may be reimbursed for students' travel expenses (hotel, etc.) incurred on a field trip if authorized by the responsible supervisor/ financial manager. The request for reimbursement for theses expenses must be separately itemized and justified on a travel reimbursement request.

Receipts for Expenditures

A reimbursement request will be accompanied by original receipt(s). If a receipt for any item of expense is lost, the traveler is responsible for contacting the issuing company and requesting a copy of the receipt. However, if a copy of the receipt is unobtainable, a certification for missing receipt form signed by the traveler's supervisor/financial manager may be substituted.


While in official travel status, faculty and staff employees will be reimbursed for subsistence allowance, lodging, and transportation. Regulations relative to these expenses are summarized below. 


A subsistence allowance is provided on a per diem basis to cover purchased meals and incidental travel expenses.

In order to qualify for subsistence when lodging is provided to a traveler at no cost, the traveler is to include the name, address, and phone number of the person/ group that provided the lodging. Rates to be paid and the method of calculation are detailed below.

Same-Day Travel
(No overnight lodging.)

  • Travel plus work status is more than 12 hours and traveler leaves before normal work starting time - Pay $6.50 for breakfast.
  • Travel plus work status is more than 12 hours and traveler returns after normal quit time - Pay $13 for dinner.
  • Maximum allowance for same day travel is $13.

Overnight In-State Travel
(Travel status requires overnight lodging.)

  • Day of Departure
    Departure prior to noon - Pay $26
    Departure between noon and 4:30 p.m. - Pay $13
    Departure after 4:30 p.m. - Pay $0

  • Day of Return
    Return after noon - Pay $26
    Return between 8:00 a.m. and noon - Pay $13
    Return prior to 8:00 a.m. - Pay $0
  • Intervening Days: For each 24-hour period - Pay $26

Overnight Out-of-State Travel

  • Day of Departure
    Departure prior to noon - Pay $32
    Departure between noon and 4:30 p.m. - Pay $16
    Departure after 4:30 p.m. - Pay $0

  • Day of Return
    Return after noon - Pay $32
    Return between 8:00 a.m. and noon - Pay $16
    Return prior to 8:00 a.m. - Pay $0
  • Intervening Days: For each 24-hour period - Pay $32 

Meals Furnished

If a meal(s) is(are) furnished to a traveler at no charge, or as a part of a registration fee, then the subsistence allowance is reduced for each such meal as follows:




The University acknowledges that faculty and/or staff may be asked or may be required to travel on behalf of the University.  When such travel occurs, the University offers a single occupancy room for the trip upon request.  If a request for a single occupancy room is made, then it must be granted regardless of budgetary or other considerations, and without reprisals or retaliation for making such a request.  However, if faculty and/or staff traveling on University business choose to share lodging accommodations, then they will be allowed to do so except in the following two situations:

  1. Faculty and/or staff are prohibited from sharing a room with a student.
  2. Managers are prohibited from sharing a room with their subordinates.

Each traveler may claim incurred lodging expenses not to exceed the single room occupancy charge including taxes.

Business telephone charges are reimbursable. Any telephone charges listed on the hotel statement will be considered personal unless otherwise noted.

State government rates will apply, as available, for lodging within Indiana.

No-Cost Lodging Provided to Traveler

If lodging is provided to a traveler at no cost, the traveler needs to provide the name, address and telephone number of the person providing the lodging, in order to qualify for subsistence allowance.

The traveler may not claim reimbursement for lodging when the lodging was provided by a person who is not in the business of providing lodging.


The mode of transportation is to be specified on the Travel Authorization prior to approval.

Transportation may be by university-owned vehicle, personal automobile or public transportation.

Whenever available, university vehicles are to be used for in-state and local travel in preference to other travel modes. When there are competing requests for University vehicles, cost-effectiveness criteria determine priorities.


Accidents or breakdowns leaving the traveler stranded are to be reported by telephone to the Physical Plant Office (812/464-1782). Accidents involving University vehicles are to be reported to the Safety and Security Office, using the Driver's Report of Accident, and the Automobile Accident or Loss.

Notice forms available at the Physical Plant Office. 

For all off-campus accidents, call the applicable Law Enforcement Agency. If the particular agency does not respond, obtain the following information from the other driver(s):

  • Name
  • Address (number, city, and state)
  • Driver's license number and issuing state
  • Name of insurance company
  • Description of other vehicle(s) and extent of damage
  • Name and addresses of any witnesses that are not passengers (in any vehicle)

Automobile Transportation

Parking and toll charges will be reimbursed with proper receipts.

Parking at a public transportation terminal is limited to the long-term parking rate, with proper receipts.

The mileage rate for the use of a personal automobile is $0.44 for every business mile.

Mileage reimbursement claimed for travel between cities and towns shall be based on the shortest usually traveled routes as verified by a Web mapping service such as MapQuest.

Odometer readings will be required if a traveler's mileage is in excess of the standard round-trip mileage.

Travel within a city or town should be listed separately from travel between cities and towns.

Persons who choose to drive long distances rather than fly should note the following: 

Mileage reimbursement will not exceed the lowest airfare available thirty days before the departure date.

Airline Travel

All reservations for approved air travel are to be made by the office of Travel Services.  Tickets will be purchased upon receipt of an approved Travel Authorization.

The reimbursable amount shall not exceed the cost of coach or tourist class.

Several airlines have adopted a policy that requires the passenger to pay a $25 fee to check a second piece of luggage.  The University considers this expense to be personal, and therefore, not eligible for reimbursement unless:

  • The business period of the trip is greater than one week
  • There are presentation/exhibition materials the traveler needs to transport

Any "Frequent Flyer" credits earned belong to the University.

Railroad or Bus

Railroad or bus travel fares may be reimbursed, but not in excess of the cost of airfare available thirty days before the departure date.

Rental Car

The cost of a rental vehicle and its associated expenses are eligible for reimbursement when suitable local transportation is not available or is more costly.  The traveler should either submit a memo with his/her travel authorization or send an email to  that justifies the overall cost of the rental vehicle versus that of local ground transportation.

The University provides insurance on rented vehicles while a traveler is on approved University business. For this reason, no reimbursement will be made for collision and/or liability insurance purchased on a rented vehicle. At the time of rental, the traveler should note on the contract that the traveler is employed by the University of Southern Indiana. 

If insurance policy numbers are needed, the traveler should contact the Procurement Department (812/464-1848).

Transportation to Terminals

Transportation costs between a traveler's home, or the University, and a terminal is a reimbursable expense. This may include taxi cab, public transportation, or mileage allowance for use of the traveler's personal vehicle. 

The reimbursement for the use of the traveler's personal vehicle will be the lesser of: 

Mileage for one round-trip from the traveler's home or work station (whichever is less) plus the long-term parking fee paid at the transportation terminal, or 

Mileage for two round-trips from the traveler's home or work station (whichever is less) to the transportation terminal.

Contact Susanne Stanley


Send Email to