University of Southern Indiana

Planning Programs Quick Guide

Planning Programs, Meetings, & Events

There are several guidelines and procedures in place for utilizing on-campus facilities. Scheduling Services will work with you and your student organization. For all the detailed guidelines and procedures, you can review the Scheduling Services manual in the Files section of your OrgSync portal. The following are some helpful hints to get you started.

Reserving Meeting Space

The easiest way to plan your meeting or event is to go to Scheduling Services in UC017 and pick up an Event Reservation Form. This form can also be accessed online by visiting ( This form lists appropriate questions for planning your meeting or event. Scheduling should take place sufficiently in advance of the requested date, to permit necessary adjustments and arrangements. Two weeks is the normal time required for reserving space. It is expected that major events will be scheduled as far in advance as possible.

When you visit the office please have the following information about your event or meeting:

  • University agency fund number
  • Date and time of meeting
  • Possible places for your meeting
  • Approximately how many will be in attendance
  • Any special needs (food and or audio/ visual equipment)
  • Detailed description of activities

After you have scheduled your meeting or event space, you will receive a confirmation email from Scheduling Services. Please verify that the event date, time, and location is correct on the confirmation. If you need to make changes or have any questions about your meeting or event, contact Scheduling Services. Once your event has taken place, Scheduling Services and Sodexo Food Services may ask that you evaluate the process and service delivery that you experienced in planning and holding your event.

Reserving Information Tables

Information Tables: Requests to use information/ display tables in the University Center will be honored, for student organizations and University departments. Scheduling Services will make all arrangements. For more information on what tables can be reserved and for what specific use, see Appendix E.

 Some guidelines for information tables:

  • All table activities must carry the identification of the sponsoring student organization.
  • A representative of the sponsoring student organization must be present at the table at all times.
  • Tables must be kept neat and orderly. Materials must be removed at the end of each day.
  • All table activities are limited to the confines of the table. Traffic flow through the hallways cannot be restricted.
  • Information table activities cannot interfere with the rights of others operating other information tables.
  • Loud and boisterous activity will not be allowed.
  • Fundraising activities must be approved prior to reserving an information table.

Cancellation of Space

Space on campus is highly valued and in constant demand, therefore we ask if you need to cancel your space reservation you do so within 24 hours of the scheduled start time.  This is especially important when reserving Carter Hall or University Center 2217-2220. Failure to cancel within 24 hours may result in a fine being assessed to your student organization and/or loss of reserving privileges.

Outdoor event cancellation works a little differently. If your event is being held Monday-Friday, your organization will need to cancel by 3p.m. the day before your event. If your event is being held on a Saturday or Sunday, your organization will need to cancel by 12p.m. on the Friday prior to the event.

Sodexo Food Service

If your event is scheduled in the University Center or Rice Library with more than 50 attending and you have food at the event, you are required to order from Sodexo. If your group has less than 50 people attending, you may provide snack items such as cookies, chips, and cake. However, all food brought into the UC must be approved by the Student Scheduler. Under no circumstances is prepared food allowed in the University Center. For more information on where event food must be purchased from Sodexo, see Appendix F.

Planning Food for Your Event

Once you receive a room confirmation from Scheduling Services, call Sodexo Food Services at 465-1652 for catering. Call two weeks before your event with the following information:

  • The date and time of event
  • The agency fund number to be charged
  • The number of people attending the event

It is best to make catering arrangements in person in the Sodexo Food Services Office. This allows you to discuss catering preferences, choose a menu, and sign the Special Event form.

After you have finalized your catering plans in the Sodexo Food Services Office, you will receive a Special Event Form. It is the organization’s responsibility to review the information, check details, obtain a fiscal manager signature, sign and return the form to the Sodexo Food Services Office seven days prior to your event. For more information on ordering from Sodexo Food Service, visit

Showing a Movie

If your student organization wants to show a film on campus, you must pay the licensing fees associated with the film. After you have selected the movie that you would like to show, you must first purchase a public viewing license and rights to show the film in public, (public performance fee). Even if you choose to show the movie for free, you still must purchase the copyrights.

The major firms that handle these licenses include:

  • Criterion Picture USA, Inc. 1-800-890-9494;
  • Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. 1-800-876-5577;
  • Motion Picture Licensing Corp. 1-800-338-3870;

Penalties for Copyright Infringement: “Willful” infringement done for purposes of commercial or financial gain is a federal crime and is punishable as a felony, carrying a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail and/or a $150,000 fine. Even inadvertent infringes are subject to substantial civil damages, ranging from $500 to $20,000 for each illegal showing.

“Games of Chance” Law

Fundraising activities must not violate state law by including a drawing, raffle, half-pots, bingo, lottery, charity game night, game of chance, or any scheme for distribution of prizes among persons who are paying for a chance to obtain a prize. If you have any questions about an event, please feel free to contact Student Development Programs.

Security and Risk Management

Public Safety is consulted on all dances, concerts, and other high risk events that may pose a threat to the safety and well-being to students, university guests, university employees, and facilities. Public Safety may require a Campus Protection Officer(s) and or a Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Department deputy(s) to be present at the event based on the type of event, number of guests attending, and other risk factors. If Public Safety determines that Campus Protection Officer(s) and or Sheriff’s Deputy(s) are needed at your event the cost and number of Campus Protection Officer(s) and or Sheriff’s Deputy(s) is non-negotiable.

Risk management is an essential part of the event planning process. Risk Management, Student Development Programs, and Scheduling Services will work with your group to identify and evaluate the level of risk associated with events. They will aid in developing a plan to control, minimize, or remove those risks. It is important to identify all elements of risk that could be associated with your event and develop a plan to respond to an incident should it occur.

Contact Student Development Programs


Send Email to