How to start climbing
For your first time at the wall, you will need to fill out our Climbing Wall Waiver before you begin climbing. Bouldering (climbing up a fixed height with no ropes) and the 11 top rope routes are free to all students to use during staffed hours.
If you would like to belay any of the roped routes, you are required to sign up for the Belay/Skills class at the Climbing Wall.
Make sure to wear comfortable clothing that allows for a range of movement such as athletic clothes. We provide all the equipment you will need to climb including a harness, shoes, belay device with carabiner and chalk bag. You may also bring your own personal gear for use.
All belayers are required to take the RFWC Belay/Skills Course.
Courses are offered every Monday - Thursday night starting @ 7 PM. Make sure to sign up at the Climbing Wall to ensure availability.
Safety courses from other facilities will not transfer to the RFWC Climbing Center. Anyone who has taken the course and has not climbed in a 6 month period will be required to pass the skills test prior to belaying.
Participants must be at least 18 years of age to be in the Climbing Center. Any student under the age of 18 needs to fill out a separate liability waiver with a parent or guardian signature.
Guests are allowed to use the Climbing Center three times per semester with a valid Eagle Access cardholder. Guests must pay the facility guest pass fee.
- ***DUE TO COVVID-19 THE LIMIT IS 10*** Only 20 participants are allowed in the Climbing Center at any one time.
- Remove all jewelry, empty pockets, tie back long hair, and use safety straps for glasses.
- No food, drink, or gum is allowed in the Climbing Center.
- Use of electronic equipment is not allowed in the Climbing Center (i.e. cell phones, iPods, mp3 players).
- Foul language, swinging on ropes, horseplay, bare feet, and unruly conduct is strictly prohibited.
RFWC staff has the right to suspend or terminate any participant’s access to the Climbing Center for violation of any facility rule or any conduct deemed inappropriate, disruptive, or unsafe.