University of Southern Indiana

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

It is the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to approve applications and to make decisions regarding payment, issuance of checks, and eligibility.

The USI Veteran Military and Family Resource Center and the University Registrar are responsible for certifying and monitoring enrollment, academic progress, and other academic information.

Please note that new applicants should expect a wait of approximately 8-10 weeks for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to process and send their first subsistence check. Beneficiaries who are renewing their benefits at the same school should expect a wait of approximately 4-6 weeks for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to process and send their first subsistence check.

Educational Benefits Under the Department of Veterans Affairs (GI Bill® )

Information is always subject to change. For the best updated information, please visit  

Click Buttons Below for Information on VA Education Benefit Chapters:

Chapter 33 InformationChapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

 Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 35 DEAChapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Education Benefits Application Process

If you’re a Servicemember, Veteran, or family member interested in education and training opportunities, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can also manage your current benefits.


What documents and information do I need to apply?

  • Social Security number
  • Bank account direct deposit information
  • Education and military history
  • Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now

Other ways to apply

In person

  • Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee help you. Find a regional office near you.
  • Work with your school’s certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school.

By mail

  • Call 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, to request that we send the application to you. Fill it out and mail it to the VA regional claims processing office that’s in the same location as your school. See a list of regional claims processing offices.

What happens after I apply?

Contact Ashley Wright


Send Email to