University of Southern Indiana

Eligibility & Enrollment

High school students entering their junior or senior year are eligible for CAP enrollment. If criteria is met, enrollment information will come from the student's school via the counseling office or directly from the CAP instructor. Criteria to enroll in most classes are:

  • GPA must be a 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale and may be weighted or unweighted, based upon the school
  • Students previously in CAP must have attained a USI grade of C or better to enroll in further course work in the same subject area (i.e. English 101 and English 105).
  • Student must be enrolled in a CAP course offered at one of the participating high schools.

Students wishing to enroll in Math 111, Math 112, Math 114, world language (French, German, Spanish), English 101, Chemistry 261, Psychology 201 or Social Work 224 must meet the following additional requirements

Chemistry 261: MATH 111, MATH 114, MATH 115 or MATH 118 (may be taken concurrently); or placement into MATH 230 or exempt from Math placement testing; or CHEM 175; or consent of instructor.

English 101: Students must meet two of the following three criteria in addition to the required 2.5 GPA:

  1. High school rank percentile of 51% or higher, OR high school GPA of 3.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale
  2. New SAT/PSAT Reading score of 25 or higher (previously 450); or ACT Reading score of 19 or higher.
  3. New SAT/PSAT Writing & Language score of 26 or higher (previously 450); or ACT English or English Language Arts (ELA) of 19 or higher.

*A SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Section (EBRW) score of 510 or higher is considered to meet both criteria numbers 2 and 3; this is to be utilized when the SAT Reading and Writing & Language scores are not accessible.

If none or only one of the above criteria are met, a student may attempt to place into English 101 through a timed writing prompt (details shared with CAP English 101 instructors via email). Prompt deadlines are early each semester. Each prompt is evaluated by two to three USI faculty to ensure consistency and fairness, just as writing prompts on campus are evaluated. Students who pass the prompt may enroll in English 101. For schools no longer utilizing class rank, a student with a GPA below 3.8 must meet items 2 and 3 or attempt to qualify via a writing prompt.

Students must have the required scores or place into the course at the time of enrollment. Students in year-long courses cannot register in the spring with qualifying test scores at that time. 

Journalism 180: Students in JRN 180 may register for an additional hour of JRN 180, provided they complete the required newsroom hours for each section of the course; contact your CAP instructor for newsroom hour requirement details. Additional information is available on a pdf explaining the option for students to earn up to two hours of JRN 180 between their junior and senior year.

Math 111, 112, 114: Students must exhibit competency via an online placement test (Accuplacer) prior to the enrollment deadline. Call Academic Skills at 812-464-1743 to schedule a placement test over the summer. If unable to travel to USI, placement tests can be administered at the high school in the fall. If a student is not able to take the Accuplacer exam, a SAT math score of 660 or higher or an ACT score of 29 or higher will also permit registration. 

Psychology 201: Successful completion of GENS 151 or a University Level (Exempt) Reading Placement. Exemption based on PSAT or SAT Reading score of 23 or higher, PSAT or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) section score of 490 or higher, ACT Reading score of 17 or higher, 9+ hours transfer credit or comprehension placement test score of at least 80.

Radio/Television 150: Students in RTV 150 may register for additional course sections, provided they complete the required studio hours (50) for each section of the course. For more information view a pdf explaining the option for students to earn up to six hours of RTV 150 between their junior and senior year.

Social Work 224: English 101 or concurrent enrollment in course.

World Languages (French, German, and Spanish)Students wishing to enroll in the 204 level of a language, must have successfully completed (earned an A or B) the 203 level.  Students who earn a C in the 203 course may register for 204 only with the instructor's endorsement. Late enrollments for 203 will not be permitted. CAP students enrolled in a world language can get up to 12 hours of language credit; click to find out how.

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities who meet the eligibility standards described above are invited and encouraged to enroll in CAP. Your high school retains the responsibility for providing and coordinating any accommodations or services as described in your current IEP, 504 Plan, or similar educational plan. However, the disability-rights laws that apply to colleges and universities are significantly different from the special education laws that apply to your high school, and all of the accommodations that you are currently receiving my not necessarily be appropriate or legally required for a college-level class. To avoid any potential barriers to your ability to earn full college credit for your participation in CAP, you are encouraged to contact your high school's special education service provider, case conference committee, or similar entity about making any necessary modifications to your current educational plan before you enter CAP. To learn more about the differences between high school and college, take a moment to review the U.S. Department of Education's publication "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities".