Fall 2020 Move In
Information about move in is to help make your transition to living on campus easier. Please check back as this site will be updated. Questions about move in can be emailed to Living.
Before You Arrive On Campus
- If you are sick or experiencing symptoms, please do not come to campus. Complete the Self Report Form, contact the University Health Center 812-465-1250 or your primary care physician for advice.
- In the days prior to your arrival on campus self-monitor daily for symptoms, practice physical distancing and limit contact with others.
- Be sure to pack cloth face coverings, hand sanitizer, a thermometer and fever reducing medication. Visit our website for more information about preparing an emergency bag to have while on campus.
MOVE IN DATES
(freshmen and transfer students)
Monday, August 17 – Thursday, August 20, 2020
Living Learning Communities (LLCs)
LLC students are encouraged to move in on Monday, August 17 and Tuesday, August 18 to allow for LLC orientation and activities.
Friday, August 21 – Sunday, August 23, 2020
The hours for move in dates are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Times may be adjusted if needed to ensure physical distancing.
MOVE IN SIGN UP
All students will sign up online for a 45-minute time slot for move in. This time slot is for unloading vehicle(s) and moving them to designated parking lots. In order to keep traffic moving smoothly we are only allowing the 45-minute time slot for unloading and moving vehicles. After a vehicle is unloaded and moved then students and their guests can move items to rooms. The move in sign up form is available on myUSI.
Two students per apartment building, per floor will be allowed to move in during each time slot.
Two students per residence hall wing, per floor will be allowed to move in during each time slot.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON MOVE IN DAY (August 15-23)
Drive Through Check In (Early Arrival/New Student/Returning Student)
When you arrive to campus please take the USI exit from Highway 62 onto University Boulevard. Follow the signs to parking lot B. You will stop at the Welcome Week tent (August 17-20) first and then the Housing Check In tent. After you check in you can then go move into your new home!
Students should not show up early for their assigned move in time. The move in time slot is for when students are at the check in tent. After the student has checked in, they will have 45 minutes to unload and park vehicles after they have reached their residence hall or apartment building.
If a student shows up early, they will be asked to wait until their assigned time. If a student shows up late, they will be rescheduled to the next available time slot for move in.
Move In Maps
Move In Maps for check in, residence halls and apartments.
To ensure the health and safety of the campus community, move in volunteers will not be available to assist moving items into buildings.
Move In Carts
There will be carts available for students to use at the residence halls (August 17-20) to move items into the buildings.
Can I help my student move in?
- Guests may help students move in after they have unloaded and moved their vehicles.
- Students and guests should be mindful of others moving in and practice physical distancing and other safety measures.
- Guests may only help students move in on the student's assigned move in day.
- Students and guests may leave campus on the assigned move in day to shop, run errands, etc. When returning to campus do not get into the move in traffic line.
GUESTS DURING MOVE IN
To help maintain safety of all students, guests, faculty, and staff, the following guidelines have been implemented:
- No children under 16 years of age allowed.
- Each student is permitted to bring up to four guests to help with unloading their vehicle(s) and moving items into the room.
- All students and guests must follow the University’s guidelines for COVID-19 safety including physical distancing and wearing a face covering. While on the USI campus or University owned and operated facilities, faculty, staff, students, contractors, vendors and visitors are required to wear a face covering when in buildings, including in classrooms. Face coverings must also be worn in open office spaces and outdoor areas where physical distancing is not possible. Visit the Returning to USI website for more information.
- No one who feels ill or has a fever (self-diagnosed) should come to campus.
- Strongly discourage individuals of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions that might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 from coming to campus.
- Guests may help students get settled into their rooms, but students and guests should be mindful of others moving in and practice physical distancing and other safety measures. Guests may only help students move in on the student's assigned move in day.
WELCOME WEEK TENT (AUGUST 17-20)
Welcome Week information will be distributed at a tent located before the Housing Check In tent. Students will receive a welcome packet that includes the Welcome Week schedule, information from departments on tasks to complete before classes start, checklist of what and how to take care of business on campus, and a map on where to find things.
CHECK IN TENT (AUGUST 15-23)
All students will check in at the Housing Check In tent located in the back of parking lot B Saturday, August 15 – Sunday, August 23. Residents will receive their room key, parking decal (for those who have preregistered their vehicle), and other relevant information.
Housing residents must register their vehicle. Students who complete the parking registration prior to their move in date, will be able to pick up a packet at check in that will include the parking permit decal, decal placement instructions and other important information. Visit USI.edu/parking for more information about parking on campus.
Check out our packing list and tips to help plan for move in and living on campus.
Early arrivals are for students who need to move in early for a University sponsored activity or program.
Early arrival move in for freshmen and transfer students will be Saturday, August 15 - Sunday, August 16. Early arrival move in for returning students will be Saturday, August 15 - Thursday, August 20. The early arrival request form is available on myUSI. This request is subject to approval by Housing and Residence Life staff.
The hours for the early move in dates August 15-16 will be noon to 5 p.m. The hours for the early move in dates August 17-20 will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Times may be adjusted if needed to ensure physical distancing.