- Know where fire extinguishers are and how to use them.
- Know location of primary and secondary exits.
- Know evacuation routes.
- Even for a minor fire, immediately contact Public Safety at 812-492-7777 or
activate the building alarms.
- If a fire appears uncontrollable, IMMEDIATELY sound the building alarms and evacuate the building. If possible, aid others to safety and close all doors to confine fire. DO NOT LOCK DOORS.
- Do not use elevators when there is fire. Take the stairs.
- Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air will be easier to breathe.
- Once outside, move to an assigned clear area away from the affected building(s).
Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
- If you become trapped in a building, place an article of clothing outside the window as a marker for emergency personnel. If there is no window, stay near the floor where the air is more breathable. Shout in intervals to alert emergency personnel of your location.
- Inform emergency personnel of any trapped or injured individuals.
- Enter the building only after it is declared safe to do so.
Fire Safety Tips
If trapped in a room
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Wet and place cloth material around or under the door to prevent smoke from entering the room.
- Be prepared to signal to someone outside.
Caught in smoke
- Drop to hands and knees and crawl toward exit. Stay low as smoke will rise to ceiling level.
- Hold your breath.
- Move quickly.
- Cover your head and hair.
- Keep your head down and your eyes closed as much as possible.
Using a fire extinguisher
A fire extinguisher should only be used on small, contained fires and only if it can be done safely. If you have doubt, evacuate.
- Pull safety pin from handle.
- Aim at base of fire.
- Squeeze the trigger handle.
- Sweep from side to side at base of fire.
- The quickest, easiest way to obtain help for any emergency is to call Public Safety at 812-492-7777.
- Stay calm and carefully explain the problem and location.
839 Pruis Lane
Evansville, Indiana 47712
Fall semester ends/Housing closes to residents at 6 p.m. unless approved to stay late or stay over winter break
December 22-January 1