The Bachelor of Science in Informatics and Information Management program consists of 120 credit hours of coursework leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM). The program includes 40 credit hours from University core courses, 18 credit hours of required pre-admission courses, 48 credit hours of required HIIM courses, one general elective at any level (3 credit hours) and six credit hours selected from elective course offerings at 300-400 level.
Students must have completed all of the pre-admission courses (see below) with a grade of "C" or better before the beginning of the HIIM program.
Admission to the program will be based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 2.75 or above in the first-year prerequisite courses based on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion, or in progress, of all required pre-admission courses.
Once in the program, students will have to maintain a minimum level of performance (no lower than a "C" grade) in each of the BSHIIM courses to progress to the next semester of the program.
The following courses must be taken before formal acceptance into the BSHIIM program. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 is required.
- MATH 111- College Algebra Credits:4
- HP 115 - Medical Terminology For The Health Professions Credits: 2
- CIS 151- Computer Applications in Business Credits:3
- HP 211 - The Healthcare Delivery System Credits:3
- ACCT 201- Accounting Principles I Credits: 3
- ENG 210- Technical Writing Credits:3
Required HIIM Courses (30 credits)
- HP 302 - Biostatistics Credits: 3
- HI 301 - Health Informatics Credits: 3
- HI 302 - Enterprise Systems & Electronic Health Records Credits: 3
- HI 303 - Health Information Exchange & Interoperability Credits: 3
- HI 304 - Social Media Monitoring in Health Care Credits: 3
- HI 401 - Project Management in Health Information Management Credits: 3
- HI 402 - Health Care Data Management & Data Analytics Credits: 3
- HI 403 - Health Care Coding Credits: 3
- HI 404 - Revenue Cycle Management in Health Care Credits: 3
- HI 405 - Health Information Privacy and Security Credits: 3
Note: Six credits of HI 410 required