Employees - Safe Return to Campus in Spring 2021
October 23, 2020
Since March, safety has been the guiding principle behind our decision making and the safety measures put in place this Fall, including alternative work schedules to reduce density on our campus, have served us well. As we look toward the Spring Semester, I’m committed to an approach that continues to put safety at the forefront. With that said, I’m outlining the following approach to the start of our Spring 2021 Semester.
When we return to work on January 4, I am asking all those who can to perform their duties from home. This will help reduce our campus density to the lowest levels possible as we transition back to campus from Winter Recess. I realize there are some positions that will need to report to campus, and it is important that we continue to provide needed services for our campus community. Please adhere to the guidance of your supervisor with regards to this work.
On January 11, we will begin our transition back to work arrangements similar to those in place now. Please work with your direct supervisor on your schedule. Additional guidance related to employee work arrangements and benefits can be found on the Human Resources website.
We are moving our Spring Meeting to Wednesday, January 13 and, as it was last year, this will be a day of professional development—this year offered virtually. More information about this will be released at a later date.
While our students will return to classes on January 19 as previously communicated, they will do so in an online capacity with a few exceptions for labs, practicums, clinicals and other areas that require in-person attendance. Classes will return to their previously scheduled modalities on February 8. Students will be notified prior to Thanksgiving break if they are registered for a class that requires them to be back for in-person instructional activities on January 19.
Web Services and University Communications have launched a new version of the COVID-19 website that will better serve our needs going forward. This new version emphasizes individual units and departments keeping information updated on their websites, with links to those pages from the COVID-19 website. I ask that you help make sure the latest information related to the operation of your unit is up to date in each of your areas. The COVID-19 website will continue to provide important information about COVID-19, self-reporting and what to do if you test positive or feel you may have been exposed to COVID-19.
Below you will find a list of important dates related to the end of the Fall Semester and the start of Spring Semester. I encourage you to review this carefully for additional information that may be important to your work.
As always, this plan is subject to change as we continue to monitor this pandemic and the guidance of health and government officials. I am proud of the work we have done up to this point, but we must stay vigilant. It is the work of all of us to ensure that we continue to keep our campus safe. Thank you for all you do to serve the University of Southern Indiana.
Ronald S. Rochon, PhD
Fall Semester 2020*
- November 24: Last day of in-person classes
- November 25-29: Thanksgiving Break; University Closed
- November 30: Classes (and Finals) Resume Virtually Through December 11
- December 11: Fall Semester Ends
- December 12: Virtual Fall Commencement
- December 17: University Health Center Closes Until January 4
- December 18: METS Bus Service Ends
- December 23: Winter Recess Begins; University Closed
Spring Semester 2021*
- January 4: University Reopens
- January 8: Students Return to Campus Housing
- METS Bus Service Resumes; See Website for Routes and Hours
- January 11: Outreach and Engagement In-Person Courses and Training Resume
- January 13: University Meeting (Professional Development Day)
- January 14: Virtual New Student Orientation
- January 15: Last Day of Open Registration
- January 19: Classes Begin Virtual Only (exceptions: labs, practicums, clinicals etc.) Until Feb. 8
- February 8: Regular Class Modalities Start
- March 8-13: No Spring Break; Classes in Session
- March 30: No Assessment Day; Classes in Session
- April 2: University Closed; No Classes
- May 7: Spring Semester Ends
- May 7-8: Spring Commencement Weekend
*All dates and times are subject to change