Counselors are here to support you in a kind and compassionate manner. And yet, some people may be nervous about speaking to a counselor. However, most people find that their anxiety goes away quickly. You can always give it a try - you are not obligated to continue.
Counseling is a positive step for people when they are struggling. People don’t feel bad about themselves when they need assistance from a mechanic, doctor, or lawyer. Seeking counseling is no different - it is a wise choice and a sign of strength.
Some people don’t like to discuss their feelings. While this is important for many, sessions can instead focus on problem-solving, stress management, assertiveness skills, etc.
We strive to provide services that respect and celebrate all aspects of diversity, including but not limited to: ethnic and racial identity, sexual orientation, sexual and gender identity, physical and mental ability, age, national origin, religious identity, socioeconomic status, political ideology, military status, body size, physical appearance, and cultural heritage/values.
Location: OC 1051
Hours: M-F, 8am-4:30pm
1/10: Chai Chat, @ UC 2205, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
1/16: Be Informed to Do Well resource table, @ UC East, 11 am - 1 pm
1/17: The Power Hour, @ the Multicultural Center (UC East), 12 - 1 pm
1/24: Student Involvement Fair, @ UC East - second floor, 10 am - 2 pm
1/30: Student Success Week
- Healthy Relationships: What They Do (and Don’t) Look Like, @ UC 2206, 10:30 – 11 am
- Do You Like What You See in the Mirror? Having Healthy Body Image, @ UC 2218, 11:15 - 11:45 am
- Overwhelmed? Learn How One ACCEPTS and Overcomes!, @UC 2217, 11:15 - 11:45 am
- Justice for All: Taking a Personal Stand Against Discrimination, @ UC 2207, 2:15 - 2:45 pm
- Is This Normal? Common Concerns of College Students, @ UC 2207, 3 - 3:30 pm
1/31: Student Success Week
- The Truth We Believe Becomes the Reality We See, @ UC 2207, 11:30 am - 12 pm
- Healthy Relationships: What They Do (and Don’t) Look Like, @ UC 2218, 12:15 - 12:45 pm
- The Truth We Believe Becomes the Reality We See, @ UC 2207, 12:15 - 12:45 pm
- Be Heard! Assertiveness and Its Many Benefits, @ UC 2217, 12:15 - 12:45 pm
- Just How "Post-Racial" Are We? Beginning Discussions on Race, @ UC 2217, 1 - 1:30 pm
- Developing Your Silver Linings Playbook: Strategies for Coping with Life's Difficulties and Challenges, @ UC 2217, 1:45 - 2:15 pm
1/31: I Am Jane Doe screening and panel discussion, @ Mitchell Auditorium, 5:30 - 8 pm
2/1: Student Success Week
- Gay, Straight, and Everything in Between: Beginning Discussions on LGBT Issues, @ UC 2218, 11:15 - 11:45 am
2/7: Chai Chat, @ UC 2205, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
2/13: Mustache for Consent: Pledge to End Sexual Violence, @ UC Traditions Lounge, 2 - 4 pm
2/20: Be Connected to Do Well resource table, @ UC North, 11 am - 1 pm
2/21: The Power Hour, @ the Multicultural Center (UC East), 12 - 1 pm
2/21: Mandela Social Justice Day Keynote Address: Chaos or Community - The Persistent Question in Achieving Racial Progress and Human Rights (presented by Tia Oso), @ Carter Hall, 6 - 8 pm
2/28: Safe Spring Break Fair, @ UC East Lobby, 11 am - 1 pm
To learn more about these events, please go to the Outreach & Programming Guide (Spring 2018).