University of Southern Indiana

When Should I Get Involved?

ParentIt is tempting for parents to want to intervene in the common everyday problems their students face, in order to shield them from the inconveniences or pain of having to cope with those problems. But, it is generally best to encourage students to handle minor problems themselves as they find ways to adjust to the college environment and new relationships, develop appropriate coping skills, and deal with the everyday stressors that are common to adult life. However, some situations may arise that are difficult to handle for even the most experienced adult or mature student, and may even be hazardous to the health and wellbeing of your student.

Consult with the Counseling Center, Dean of Students Office, or Housing and Residence Life or complete a CARE team referral if you notice any of the following:

  • A problem situation that is potentially dangerous.
  • Repeated, tearful phone calls home.
  • Feelings of homesickness that last for weeks, without apparent adjustment.
  • Evidence of isolation.
  • Significant weight loss.
  • Frequent illness or fatigue.
  • Significant changes in behavior or mood.
  • Signs of depression.

In addition to consulting with any of the above University offices, encourage your student to set-up an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling Center before problems become serious. Our counselors are available to help determine options for dealing with stressors, both common and extraordinaire, that may interfere with normal activities and contribute to health problems if left unattended. If the situation is one in which we are unable to assist your student, we will help locate the appropriate assistance either in another office on campus or through other community agencies and resources.

If you student is having difficulties transitioning to college life, click here for additional information.

In an Immediately Life-threatening Emergency, Call:
On campus: 812-492-7777 (Office of Public Safety)
Off campus: 911 or go the nearest Emergency Room


Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is a SAFE ZONE for individuals of all ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, physical appearances/sizes, and gender identities.


Contact Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS)


Send Email to