Students may opt in to receiving their 1098-T electronically through TouchNet. To enroll, log into your TouchNet account via MyUSI and click on the Consents and Agreements link. Changes to delivery options can be later made if the student wishes to withdraw their electronic delivery consent in the future.
Students who do not enroll in electronic delivery options for their 1098-T will receive a paper form mailed to the address the University has on file.
In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year (for activities from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31). Due to a change to reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we are required to report in Box 1 the amount of what you paid during the year. The 2018 Form 1098-T is scheduled to be released by Jan. 31, 2019.
- Filer’s name and address box: The University’s address and phone number is printed in this box.
- Filer’s federal identification number box: The University’s FEIN number is printed in this box.
- Student’s taxpayer identification number box: The student’s social security number or individual taxpayer identification number is printed in this box. If the student did not provide a SSN, there will be no SSN reported.
- Student’s name and address box: The student’s name and address are printed in this box.
- Box 1: This box will include the total amount of payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from all sources during the calendar year. The amount reported is the total amount of payments received less any reimbursements or refunds made during the calendar year that relate to the payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses during the same calendar year.
- Box 2: Blank
- Box 3: This box shows whether your educational institution changed its reporting method for 2018. For 2018, this box will be checked. Important: You should be aware of this change in figuring your education credits.
- Box 4: This box contains any billing adjustments relating to payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 5: This box contains the total amount of scholarships/grants received during the calendar year.
- Box 6: This box contains any scholarship/grant adjustments that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 7: Box 7 shows whether the amount in box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January – March. This box indicates if any of the amounts received include amounts for a semester that begins in an academic period during the following year. If payments for an upcoming spring semester occurs in October – December, this box will be checked.
- Box 8: This box is checked if the student was enrolled in 6 or more credit hours in the fall semester, spring semester and summer semesters.
If there is a need to update/revise your information, please be sure to contact the University by mid-March at the latest. Requests received after this period may not be accommodated.
Please be advised that the Bursar's Office does not provide legal, tax, or accounting advice to students.