To request library instruction simply complete the Electronic Request Form. You may submit one form for multiple sections of the same course. You will receive a confirmation of the instruction session(s) within 2-3 days of submission.
- All requests must be submitted electronically and two weeks in advance of the class.
- Faculty are required to attend library sessions with their classes. Substitute instructors may attend the instruction session in place of the normal instructor under certain circumstances. Library sessions without instructors or substitutes will be cancelled.
- A class assignment must be included in the request form.
What will students learn during an instruction session?
- How to determine the amount and types of information needed to fulfill their research needs
- How to form their research questions into manageable concepts
- How to search the library catalog for books, reference materials, government documents, multimedia, and more
- How to find articles in general and/or specific databases
- Recognize the usefulness of print reference resources
- Understand the difference between scholarly and popular periodicals
- How to evaluate web resources
- Knowledge of resources available to them, including a personal connection with a reference librarian
Where does instruction take place?
- All instruction sessions take place in Lab A at the David L. Rice Library. Lab policies can be found here. The labs in the library are not available for use by non-library classes. In only very rare and exceptional cases will the library labs be used for anything other than library instruction sessions. Click here for more information regarding exceptional situations.
When can I come for instruction?
- Instruction sessions cannot be scheduled for the first week or final two weeks of the semester.
- Instruction can be taught for both day and evening classes, and sessions will run between 50-75 minutes depending on the class.
Who will be teaching the library session?
- One of five reference librarians will teach the library sessions. The library will be in contact with you before your library session. Feel free to email the teaching librarian with any questions you may have before your scheduled session. We try to tailor our instruction sessions to your class's specific needs.
What if I am Distance Education or simply can't schedule a session?
- The Instructional Services Unit offers digital tools to supplement in-class instruction.
- LibGuides: These online research guides, utilize sources including videos, tutorials, RSS feeds, and podcasts, offer users numerous ways to learn about conducting scholarly research. LibGuides also includes subject-specific guidance providing lists and online links to a variety of resources that focus on a particular topic.
- Online Tutorials: Rice Library has over 28 online tutorials consisting of short videos discussing a variety of topics. From evaluating web sites to printing and photocopying, these videos offer students and faculty a quick and easy way of navigating the library and conducting research.
Who do I contact for more information?
Fax: 812-465-1693 or, For scheduling questions, Libinstr@usi.edu