- Master of Arts
in Liberal Studies (MALS)
Provides a post-graduate credential for individuals who seek personal enrichment and whose careers would be enhanced by a formal course of graduate study, but who prefer an interdisciplinary approach. The program is a viable alternative for educators seeking professional development and for meeting state license renewal requirements. In sum, the program provides an opportunity for individuals from a variety of careers to acquire graduate-level skills and knowledge from the perspective of several academic disciplines. The program could be an appropriate step toward further degree work in doctoral interdisciplinary programs, as well as traditional doctorates that prefer interdisciplinary master's work.
- Master of Arts in Communications (MA-C)
The Master of Arts in Communication at the University of Southern Indiana is a comprehensive and integrated curriculum that bridges communication studies and mass communication areas and focuses on a strategic approach to the discipline. Exposure to the broad spectrum of communication and mass media studies prepares students, who are primarily working professionals, for advancement in a variety of communication and media professions and services.
The Master of Arts program provides students with an interdisciplinary approach to problem solving in the field of communication. Our students can expect to examine a variety of problems through the lens of communication in areas as diverse as technological change, international relations, conflict and negotiation, organizational functioning, personal relationships, regional economic development, corporate responsibility, community outreach, and consensus and coalition building. We deliberately adopt pedagogical techniques, such as a case study approach, that develop our students’ problem solving abilities and critical thinking skills. Our hands-on capstone experience connects our students’ learning experience with real-life problems and will provide a service to the community. For students who want to pursue advanced graduate studies, we also offer a thesis option that allows them to gain experience in academic research.
Students who complete the Master of Arts in Communication are able to apply their increased knowledge of communication processes, contexts, theories, and research methodologies to further their career and educational goals.
- Master of
Public Administration (MPA)
Graduates of the program acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be creative, ethical, analytical, and visionary leaders. Specific competencies that will be mastered by students earning the MPA Program follow:
- Become knowledgeable of the laws, rules, norms, and traditions that shape the internal structure, efficiency, and innovativeness of public sector organizations.
- Be able to formulate creative solutions to problems confronting government agencies and not-for-profit organizations.
- Obtain knowledge of how institutions in the public sector shape and are shaped by economic, social, and political environments.
- Acquire practical skills and knowledge bases necessary for the management of public sector organizations: grant writing, budgeting, public speaking, human relations, public relations, electronic communication, and report writing.
- Master an understanding of how key concepts and theories can be used to formulate practical solutions to problems associated with public and non-profit administration.
- Gain knowledge of data bases, web sites, printed material, and other information-based resources pertaining to the management of public sector organizations.
- Learn how to gather and analyze qualitative and quantitative data relevant to decision making in public organizations.
- Understand the ethical consequences of decisions made by
managers in the public sector.
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- The MSW program prepares students with the knowledge, skills, and values for advanced clinical social work practice with diverse populations and emerging social issues based on the Ten Core Competencies of Social Work Practice.
- The program educates students in generalist practice in the clinical concentration.
- Additional coursework prepares students for advanced practice in school settings.