The University welcomes students from other countries and cultures who bring to the campus direct contact with the rich heritage of their countries. In return the University is eager to share American opportunities and culture. View our International Viewbook.
An international student should apply well in advance of the semester in which the student plans to enter. In order to receive consideration for admission the student must:
1. Complete the International Student Application online or download and mail. Applications must include $40 application fee and a copy of your passport/visa.
2. Send original official transcripts of all secondary schools and universities directly to the Office of Admissions at the University of Southern Indiana for the purpose of determining eligibility for admission to USI. All credentials must be in English.
Note: The University of Southern Indiana will inform students if a course evaluation report from one of the evaluation agencies listed below is needed to complete the admission process.
3. Send an official (photocopy not acceptable) TOEFL score report verifying a minimum total score of 525 (paper test) or 197 (computerized test) or 71 (Internet based), or official APIEL score report verifying a minimum score of 3, or official IELTS verifying a minimum score of 6. The TOEFL code for USI is 1335. If English is your native language, USI requires either the ACT or SAT score.
4. To receive a J1 or F1 visa, you must send a completed International Student Statement of Finances form with a certified bank statement (US currency) or letter from an employer. Official Statement of Finances (pdf)
5. If you have a J1 or F1 visa and you will be transferring directly to USI from another US school or university, you must also submit an International Student Transfer Form. International Student Transfer Form (pdf)
Once all requirements are received and reviewed an admission decision will be made. Students are notified of the admission decision by letter which will be mailed to the address supplied on your application for admission.
In order for transfer credit to be accepted at USI, the foreign education institution must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or other accrediting body) of the respective country. Upon acceptance for admission to the University of Southern Indiana, we will notify students regarding transfer credit as soon as possible. After your admission to USI, if you have further questions regarding transfer credits, please contact Mary Branson, Credentials Analyst, at email@example.com.
For further assistance with the application process and information specific to your country, please contact your local U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate, or U.S. Information Service for referral to the closest educational adviser. Information on educational advising centers is also available from U.S. Department of State, Educational Information and Resources Branch.
Exchange Students participating in an established exchange program between their home institution and the University of Southern Indiana should contact the International Office at their institution to apply for the program. Further information about USI exchange programs is also available from Heidi Gregori-Gahan, director of International Programs and Services at USI, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following three agencies are recommended for course evaluation reports. Please check with the Office of the Registrar at the University of Southern Indiana before using any other evaluation agency.
World Education Services
PO Box 5087 Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Education Evaluators International, Inc
PO Box 751169
Forest Hills, NY 11375